Monday, June 25, 2012

How the Heck Did I Get Here?


WARNING: CONTAINS GRAPHIC PICTURES

Today, June 25th, I am 46 days away from the start of my first Ironman race. Just how the heck did I get here?

In October of 2008, I was an overweight and out-of –shape Firefighter with a great wife who worked part-time as an ER/Trauma Nurse. Lauren and I had two small kids in diapers, which I cared for while she worked.

I’m embarrassed to admit, but in the fall of 2008, I had hit maximum density at 286 lbs, way too much for my 6’4” frame. In my locker at the firehouse, I had 3XL work shirts and work pants with a 42” waist. Yes, you read that right.

On October 17, 2008, my life changed and so did my families. While at work with the Fire Department, I had my left hand mangled by a commercial grade, roll up door leaving my right arm trapped in the mechanism. I was removed from the door by my own crew and rapidly transported to the local ER/Trauma Center. After hours of surgery and days in the hospital, I got to go home with a immobilizing cast past my elbow and three more surgeries and thousands of hours of rehabilitation ahead of me.
Before Surgery
After Surgery
Christmas, 2008
With months of no work ahead of me, I spent my time at the gym and watching what I ate.  I started by doing cardio at the gym, which led to running. I was lucky enough to get involved with the inaugural Ambassador Program with Pacers Running Store. I was motivated to train and run some local 5K and 10K races. After running a few local races, I got it in my head that I was going to run the most famous “local” race of all, the Marine Corps Marathon. As I told Lauren, “I’m just going to run one marathon.” In 2010, I completed the Marathon and promptly signed up for my next marathon the very next day!

If I can complete a marathon, I can do a triathlon. Having completed a few distance road races, I decided to try a triathlon and got hooked! I completed, and won my division, in my first Olympic distance triathlon in 2011. In 2012, I won my division in a Sprint Triathlon, a competitive Olympic Distance Triathlon, and a very competitive Half Ironman race.  Needless to say, I’ve got a good streak going!

Now, in June of 2012, I’m a whole new man and a much better athlete. I’ve been promoted to Lieutenant of one of the busiest Ladder companies in the County. I’m down 75+ lbs and wearing a size large work shirt and currently in 34” waist pants. I am however, left with a left hand, as described by medical professionals, as a "claw-like deformity".
March 2012 on the left, March 2010 on the right. 

I’ve had a lot of support from friends and family, but I have to give most of the credit to my wife, Lauren. She continues to be the first person to pick me up when I’m down, when I’m tired or when I get negative. Lauren has gone way out of her way to keep me strong mentally and has given me the opportunity to train for races, sacrificing her own free time to wrangle Katie and Will so that I can do the necessary training. For all your support and love, I thank you and I love you.
Thank you, Lauren!

A great quote from the current Ironman World Champion, Craig "Crowie" Alexander. 
"At the end of the run the pain is probably the worst, but...you start to think about all of the people who have helped you out, who have sacrificed for you. It's easy to stay motivated at that point. All the people you know who have helped you get to the start line and helped you prepare. I think it's the least you can do, to finish it off for them."


1 comment: