Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Love the Run You're With

This past Sunday, I started the 2013 race season at the Love the Run You're With 5K. This popular Valentine's Day themed race, produced by Pacers Events, has been a favorite of mine and Lauren's for the past three years. The Valentine's Day theme starts with the bibs, which came in three colors: Red meaning you were in a relationship, Green meaning you were available and Yellow meaning, "it's complicated". 

The course starts with a 100 meter flat section, followed by a left turn and a steep uphill, before a gradual downhill to the turn around on the out and back course. As my first race of my 2011 season, on the same course last year, I ran a 20:49. I felt like my fitness level is better now then at this time last year, so I was pumped to see what I could do. This was also my first race in my K-Swiss Kwicky Blade-Light shoes.

The temperature was in the high 20's at the start of the race, with light winds. 

I started at the front and as usual, looking like a grown man racing in the kid's fun run (see picture below). At 6'4" and 220 pounds, I might be more suited for football or rugby, but I've found a sport I have a passion for and one in which I can be competitive. Plus, once I get my Wattie Ink Elite Team gear, my "W" will be bigger than yours. 

Photography by Brian Knight of Swim Bike Run Photography
I gave it everything I had in the last 100+ meters and being Valentine's Day themed race, I threw up a "W" to show some Wattie Ink love!

Photography by Brian Knight of Swim Bike Run Photography

My approximate splits from my Garmin:
Mile 1: 6:16 pace
Mile 2: 6:16 pace
Mile 3: 6:10 pace
.1 Mile: 5:03 pace
Total: 19:16 and matched my previous PR. 

Of course, Lauren and I cooled down with a Bloody Mary and a Guinness, respectively. One of the many perks of Pacers Events run races that they all finish with adult recovery beverages!

I am very happy with my effort and with the results. It makes me VERY optimistic about the upcoming season. I learned that I need to work on rockin' the "W" for race pictures. 

Cheers, Bitches! 



No comments:

Post a Comment